View Single Post
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I remember back when I went to school some decades ago, that a pro-linux teacher quoted that Linus Thorvalds had said that the Linux kernel was bloated. Now, hard to document such hearsay, so instead I'll document that he said it again in 2009.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10358024-16.html

So, can you now please stop making ignorant fun of people who recognize that the kernel is bigger than what is optimal on limited resources? Powerful cross-device Linux kernel comes at a cost. We're all fine with that, or we'd be on some dumbphone community site, right?
I think you are talking about the 2.4.X kernels and yes they were bloated. With many manufacturers contributing drivers and code to the kernel to say that their hardware supported linux it left it a bit messy lol.

It was sorted in kernel 2.6.X, if you have ever built your own kernel then you will know some things were in 2.4.X built in so you could not remove them but not any more. The 2.6.X kernels allow you to do what you want with them or whatever suits your needs.

No more bloated kernels, fully customized and highly efficiont kernel. The Android runs on a very new kernel version that is NOT bloated in a bad way. The kernel has got drivers compiled in it that depending on certain devies wont be using. The google Android Code usus a genkern (generic kernel) that is precompiled for ease of use. That dont stop you git code the kernel source and building a debloated specific kernel for your particular device.

What i like about android is you can pull the normal source from kernel.org and use the rawr code as a kernel, it will make life a little harder but its very possible.

Graphic drivers and some others remain closed binaries so they have to be added into the binary folder before you compile the kernel to be included. These 3rd party drivers are a block hole.
Black hole software in the free software community are considered dangerous. Not much we can do about that at moment.

At least Sony is trying to open source these. Sony seems to be on our side at least, i would like to say same for Nokia but clearly Nokia has turned to the dark side...