View Single Post
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Close to you
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Big difference with Nokia: You can use Mer and Nemo now, on various other devices. In fact you can use them on *any* device as long as it has linux drivers (too bad this is only true for x86 and pretty much nothing else) Maemo was never able to run on anything else than NIT's, not because of lack of drivers, but because of dependency spaghetti (deliberate or not)

They have cleanly seperated their code from the community code, no tangled binary dependencies, no stupid maemo-generic-pr metapackage. They also contribute to open projects as they work, no big code-drops, android/Tizen style. If that is not openness what is it? Ok some GUI apps may be closed, so what? We can make replacements, it's not like we'll need to reverse-engineer bme.

The system is so compliant to standards that people have managed to run the actual sailfish os from the x86 emulator image on compatible tablets. Try that with maemo.

PS. N959 is a Nokia/Boeing/Porsche hybrid?
I knew I was going to get some beating when I wrote about the true openness Sailfish and more so here.

Look in all I am very happy this is happening now and I am looking forward for them to succeed, as I see it this can only benefit people who is favoring the open-source movement. I like also how they are promoting Qt as for development toolkit
I am just a bit worried as to why the Jolla team does not openly discuss what are their future plans for open-sourcing the closed parts… the UX and the drivers, I understand they might not be able to do so now because being a small company on a Shark territory they might lose some competitive advantage, but still they could openly discuss if they plan to do so at some point in the future.
Would everybody here for instance be happy knowing that the closed parts will remain like so forever? I know my answer.

When I said Android is more open than Sailfish now is because it is, heck even somebody skilled enough could cook their own ROM, all is available there and for instance Ubuntu people are taking advantage of it, and yes you can have a terminal on it if you wish don’t forget it’s based still on a linux core , please don’t tell me about Google evil company I know about it don’t like it either… but is not the matter we are discussing here.

That’s all that I wanted to say and I know that while I will get again a beating here, I am voicing also some concerns that maybe a small part of this forums has.
As I don’t want to start a war here about this, this will be my last comment on it I will just continue to read the forums and Jolla news and probably will get the phone when released.

I said in the post before that the hardware does not appeal to me (that was bound to happen with the resources they have) but I forgot to add that I like very much what I see about the Os's and that if well executed which is a very big If "the Other half" idea may be the disrupting thing Elop was chasing years ago...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to igguk1 For This Useful Post: