View Single Post
I want to dual boot my N900 with... something. Not sure what, I want to test a few options. But I've been struggling with it and can't find my way out of the pickle.

I think I have uboot. Or do I? I am not sure. I boot with the slider open and get a white screen with a menu with two options: Boot Maemo and Power Off. Is that uboot? Probably not, because I opened the Uninstall section of the App Manager and couldn't find any uboot.

I followed the instructions for SHR, installed it on an 8GB SD card, put it in the N900 and... nothing happened. I booted with the slider open and got a white screen with a menu with two options: Boot Maemo and Power Off. No sign of SHR.

Then I followed the instructions to install Ubuntu. Boy, did that take long! 5 hours, I think! And after all that, no joy, because I can't make it boot.

So I tried to install uboot just to make sure I really had it. I found two versions: pr13 and Pali's U-boot with kernel 2.6.28-omap1. I can't install either. For pr13, an error message says it is incompatible with the Power User kernel. For Pali's, it says "!!!U-Boot with kernel 2.6.28-omap1 breaks the 3rd party package policy." Whatever that means.

Fine, I found the Power User kernel and uninstalled it. Then I rebooted.

Then I tried to install the two versions of uboot and still got the same error messages. But I uninstalled the Power User kernel! What's going on?

Then I kind of panicked a little, clicked and read a lot of things. I remember I saw somewhere that I was supposed to install 'Nokia kernel' or something like that in order to remove the Power User kernel properly. But where is that Nokia kernel? I can't find it.

I didn't use my N900 for almost a year so I forgot a lot of stuff and now I am very confused. Can someone please shed some light on this situation?