View Single Post
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Well CSSU-Thumb will work with Kernel-Power as long as you use KP later than version 51r1. This has the required thumb erreta workaround.
That's good to know. I enabled extras-devel last night, and updated to KP52, but I immediately went back to -cssu3.

Each of the things you have mentioned have there own wiki page.
So it's a good idea to have a look through each page before installing them. AFAIK most of the issues you found are covered in there own wiki somewhere.
I concur with that. My intent for this post is to consolidate the process into one place, rather than having to go find a bunch of disparate wiki pages or multi-hundred-page discussions on talk.m.o. Ideally, I'd like to go back and add a bunch of links...

I would disable extras-testing and extras-devel, then only enable extras-devel to download "foo" package and disable it after. This will speed HAM up during updates and stop it pushing unwanted update notices.
Actually, I personally, am running the middle ground. I have extras-testing enabled, but disabled extras-devel. But I've always lived dangerously, and run the majority of my machines on Debian/sid. Aside from the slower HAM, I might have left extras-devel enabled, because I have noticed simple things, like less, are only in extras-devel.

Speaking of command line tools, is (and why is, if applicable) busybox enhanced better than the -gnu packages (e.g. diffutils, findutils, sed, grep, awk, etc.)? And if I were to choose to install the -gnu packages, will they install cleanly over their busybox equivalents without breaking the remaining parts of busybox? I want to say I tried this with the N810 years ago, and that it was less than successful...but I don't remember the details. And that was probably a much earlier version of the tools and busybox.

Also it's best to leave Nokia SSU enabled however you can remove Ovi if you like.

Lastly without ogg-support, you wont get ogg
I have ogg-support installed, but still, I can't see my ogg-vorbis albums in mediaplayer. I'm thinking about uninstalling ogg-support in favor of multimedia-pack.

If you are really worried about reinstalling it, do a full backup using the default backup and backupmenu to a uSD; then install.
Done and done. I may set up a cron job to do backups of rootfs and optfs, so that it is backed up automatically.

Thanks for your comments, sixwheeledbeast.

The Following User Says Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post: