View Single Post
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Firstly I do wish to expressly thank everyone who gave me a slap upside the head, kick in the butt, sympathized, argued, agreed, made me see red as well as laugh all at once.
Next, while going to reinsert the throw-together folder (I poorly named upon reflection) the master codex, I realized that it was sorely lacking, but may contain the seed of promise. I ref. the post to here and am now throwing this onto the table with some ideas from you all attached in this post for what could be done with it.
Now the n770 folder is empty excepting the categorized subfolders, as well the n900 folder is scant and not very current.
Due mainly to the fact that it has been a long time since I've used my n770 and I have had my n900 for only 2 years now at best and only lately mess with it more than I used to or these folders would be full as well. The n8x0 folders have a bit in them and am sure I missed stuff.
So as it is it can simply be chucked at a new person or whoever. They download it, extract it, toss it in their favourites/browser bar for quick ref. , even for quick multiple opened browser cross-referencing of pertinent forum posts.
Instead of unintentional misdirection or digging everywhere for answers to a single or intertwined topic we can hand anyone this. For humungous threads that have many important edu. posts inside subfolders are there for them.
The best way to expand on this is if everybody who (even just recently stumbled upon) or has or knows of where there is looked-over, hidden, forgotten or buried questions/answers/ideas/projects (whether they succeeded or not, because once aired with easy access may have people interested in attempting different solutions now to problems that couldn't be solved then) (and it doesn't necessarily have to be from the forum, for example, there is a folder of "other websites" with interesting info from outside the site pertaining to the operating system and devices here) posts the link(s) in one locale with a category (and sub category if needed) name it would fit in, I or anyone else (for that matter) can give em a quick once over...pop them in the corresponding folder...if it already exists, state we got it. Add more different category folders as needed
Everyone benefits immediately. I for one am insatiably curious and I know there is tons of stuff out there I would love to read/study/test/try if only I knew where/what it was.

So up for vivisection is something that can have potential.
1- As it is we can simply hand it to anyone, especially new people and say " Trial-by-fire...READ IT ...It's as layman as it gets! " and honestly I am fine with that.
2-(If a completely separate thread is made with the sole purpose of simply putting up links and a brief statement of the category it is believed it should go into) We can add to it, we can pack it to the rafters and still it wouldn't be a bad quick ref. and exploratory reservoir. (I don't mind adding all the new links once every few days/ or week/ or month depending on how heavy they come in) and upload the revised folder ( people delete their old folder, download and toss up the new in their browser bar) correspondingly, eventually the links will trickle in.
3-If community is truly as curious as we believe then this could be an opportunity. With quick multi-opened browser cross ref. then in a few weeks/months/or a year (depending upon response and the amount of info) creating something comprehensive in the wiki with a decent simple interface like what was suggested could be doable and adding or updating sections when members found they needed updating/revising a piece of cake.
Whatever ideas could be integrated into this to make it better should be thrown around, if the consensus is that it won't fly or there is a better idea(s) then that's more than ok with me too...if I can pitch in however I can great, I am happy to.

Heck better still.... add to it if you can or wish to, upload your zipped version I'll download it and add all the additions to mine and reupload the revised version with all the new additions bingo!. If EVERONE has a copy of this in their browser bar and while they are looking through maemo.org run and into something good then bookmark it in the category it should be in...saves me the trouble and makes revisions fast.

Here is the folder, a couple of broken links don't work (nokia's I believe) other than that this works

P.S. - I am terribly sorry for the post length, this was as concise as I could get it.
endsormeans
Attached Files
File Type: zip Maemo 09-06-13.zip (237.7 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-07-09 at 08:47. Reason: forgot

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post: