View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
My first smartphone was the Nokia N-Gage. I didn't know what a smartphone was and I was just stunned when I realized I could install applications on that thing. The years passed and more features came over, like cameras and wi-fi. I was looking at the N91 (the one with the hard drive) but right before I bought it I realized that the Qtek S200 had everything I wanted and with the full sized SD could do the 4Gigs of the N91 too. It had a gorgeous screen, 3times the resolution of the N91 but lacked a full size 3.5mm jack.
Wow! Exact same start for me! I could open PDFs, have a fancy file explorer, use PuTTY, etc. I had also planned to get N91 afterwards, which I ended up not buying. Went to Nokia Communicator 9300i afterwards. Also found this to be awesome, especially that I could even create PDFs here. Not to forget the awesome Qwerty keyboard.
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
When I saw the N900 I was immediately, without even looking at the specs "WoW! I *want* this".
The amazement didn't stop a day until today. The N900 has converted me to a full time linux user, and played a role in the job I'm doing today.

The N900 is by far the most important phone I've ever had, and it's not an exaggeration to say that it changed my life.
My N900 adventure began on a boring day, when I just googled "linux phone" (because N-Gage and Communicator had shown me how cool it is to have powerful tools in the pocket at all times.) At the time, I was not a linux user, but had seen a friend testing Ubuntu one day. The Google search returned N900 at the very top. The Wikipedia page about it completely converted me. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it at the time. So I started playing with Linux on PC, and Maemo caused me to choose Debian over other Linuxes. I finally bought my N900 on July 4, 2011, knowing full well that Nokia had abandoned it. Still, it is a decision I have not come to regret. N900 still kicks ***, and it enhances my productivity at work in a way that my fellow iDevice and Android owners can only envy. For me too, N900 is 99% of the reason why I am now a daily Linux user, and can at least consider myself an entry-level linux sysadmin (I have a Debian VPS, and have been assistant administrator on two other servers).

PS: I still have my N-Gage (actually two, if I count the one suffering from White Screen of Death)