View Single Post
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ ABU DHABI - UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don't know much about Nitroid (nor have I much interest in finding out), but from the little I know, I understand it is a 3 step process. You need to install multiboot, then you need to install a Nitroid kernel and lastly you need to download a Nitroid image and mount it in a specific folder under root. If I remember correctly, that folder was /and. Feel free to correct me if I am talking BS.

We have had a few people running out of root space because they, instead of mounting Nitroid under /and, tried to copy it there and, not surprisingly, it did not fit.

Now, about your space issue. There are two storage media on our N900. You can think of them as two hard disks. One is small, only 256MB. It is split into smaller parts, containing the bootloader, kernel and, most pertinently to your case, the 227MB root space. This is the first entry you see when you run df. It is vital system space, containing system files and some not-so-well behaved (see below) user applications. Because it contains the root of your file system, it is usually called "rootfs".

The second storage medium (or "hard disk" if you want) is 32GB, split into 3 parts. The first part is the 27GB space formatted as FAT and exported in mass storage mode. It is mounted under /home/user/MyDocs, usually referred to as "MyDocs" and used for documents, images, music etc. It is this part that has 20GB free in your case.

The next part of your 32GB medium is a 2GB space reserved for your applications. The 227MB rootfs mentioned above is just not enough so well written applications should install here. This space is mounted under /home and also (simplified as I am already too verbose) under /opt. Because of that, this partition is often referred to as "optfs".

All user files - contacts, SMS and calls history, saved games, in a word everything that does not go to MyDocs is kept here, more specifically somewhere under /home/user. It is also here that apt and dpkg use for a cache. Your dpkg output suggests that you have run out of this "optfs" space. If that happens, you can no longer create new files - including tracker databases, meaning Media Player list will appear empty even though you have tons of music files and 20GB free in MyDocs.

Keep in mind that I am only guessing since the information you provide is very patchy, to the point of nearly non-existent. Please provide the output of michaaa62's commands in post #28 to give us a better picture.
how can I get back my images and audio clips to show? they do exist as you just mentioned but not showing.