View Single Post
Lumiaman is single-handedly redeeming himself in this post enough for me to consider removing him from my ignore list.

I agree with his point, I'd like see more focus about the several years pre-Elop where Nokia struggled to get traction with smart phones. I feel like this is when the battle was really lost, and I was as critical of Elop as anyone.

Sentimentalism aside for the lost Devices and Services arm of the business, Nokia got paid nicely to partner, got MSFT to bite on acquisition, got to unload that struggling part of the business, got out from beneath Microsoft's thumb (Elop) without losing much (naming rights for a few years?), retained their patents (without an exclusive license to MSFT?) AND retained the other core parts of the business.

As much frustration as I've had towards Nokia over the years, I think they made a great move to solve the struggling smartphone vendor issue (tho love my N9 til this day) and they used Elop/MSFT to do it (worst case in that scenario was Windows actually was successful, however unlikely).

Though I will say if they want to get back in the devices game, I don't know how I would feel if they tried to acquire Jolla, considering what the BOD chartered during the Nxxx days, but if that happened, maybe they could focus on it more and not have to worry about what to do with Symbian etc. I'd prefer Jolla to stay independent for the time being.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post: