View Single Post
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Sorry, i think you are wrong. It seems that this kind of microphone with twin membrane has a different sensibility to allow a wider dynaminc range.
This allows to record the little noise produced by your breath or the music of a rock concert without introduce distortion.
No i didnt miss that, i was commenting on that...

The microphone in my picture from 1947 is used daily as a lowdistorting mic over the whole range from silent whispering to loud drums, the range it is usable for is larger than the range of our ears.
and there is nothing strange with microphones that can handle sound over a larger range than our ears. however, their approach is to build two microphones where each membrane has so low quaility that it only is usable over a very small dynamic range without distortion. normally it is not the microphone by itself that limits the range but the electronics that amplifies the signal that cant handle such a large range. and that is why we have different gainsettings , automatic-gain-control, compressors limiters and such stuff.

And btw, there is no way that a single membrane mic, albeit with two very different membranes, can filter out crowdnoise from other soundwaves in the air that hits it.
For that you need atleast two identical membranes connected either as inverse-differoid (three identical capsules) or as a directional microphone (normally two identical capsules).

Last edited by electroaudio; 2013-09-10 at 14:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post: