View Single Post
Originally Posted by tangent View Post
[LEFT] Even phone lockcode can be hacked now. .
Really? Are you referring to recovery after being re-flashed or otherwise?

As for the matter at hand,

My N900 remains in my pocket. There has been nothing that has given me reason to switch. The Jolla project took a direction I did not like and after speaking with one of the heads of the project and asking him about the position the team would take if certain powers were to request certain "features" be placed into the system (I am a security consultant and generally very fond of personal liberties and privacy - this is my main motivation for open source) I was less than thrilled with his response. That coupled with other directions the project has taken stifled my interest. I have similar concerns with Canonical's ventures.

In turn, I will support this project. I can't say I am thrilled about being forced to stick with an OS that is on life support - given the impediment of the Nokia blobs et cetera - but I can't see any other option at this point. In short, you'll have my money.

I will say, however, that if I were left to dreaming I'd likely imagine something with the thickness of the N900, the sliding keyboard mechanism of the N950, a screen size of around 5", so much IO that the sides of the unit would look like swiss cheese, Battery of at least two days, built for industrial settings, and probably based on Debian (If I were really left to my dreams it would be BSD based but I think that is going too far even for a dream in this world). It would be nice if the open source community could support something like that. I'm only moderately familiar with manufacturing so I'm not sure how much that would cost but for something like that that I would not consider replacing for a few years I would gladly lay down $2000, probably more. Assuming the biggest hurdle was overcome (a thriving community actively participating in software development) what would you lot estimate that costing if you could get two thousand people behind it? $5000?

Don't start in on me internet tough guys... I'm only dreaming. Don't stamp on a man's dreams.

Sincerely,

Old Abe

Last edited by Old Abe; 2013-10-17 at 22:09.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Old Abe For This Useful Post: