View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
IMO one option for browser on Neo900 Fremantle is to keep microb and upgrade microb-engine to a newer Gecko version.
If that's feasible...

Originally Posted by hauslandbibliothek View Post
What about Alopex?
I never heard of it up to now, but according to the thread it seems pretty much dead.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
isn't browser rather an app than an OS component? (OK, arguable on maemo ;-P)
I guess on any smartphone - which despite its other qualities the N(eo)900 still is - the web browser might be one of the most used applications available. And it's one of the most prominent potential security risks.
So not using some ancient browser is a major security concern to the whole platform.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Anyway the purpose of FPTF is to allow apps to run unchanged on new hw-platforms.
Maybe I got that wrong, but wasn't the purpose of FPTF also to improve Maemo's software situation in general, starting with a recent kernel and eliminating some of the proprietary blobs?
Afaik these are the major hurdles that always made it hard to impossible to keep up with the rest of the GNU/Linux progress.
So if these hurdles could be removed by FPTF then a new browser based on recent technology should more or less come naturally, assuming there is already an existing suitable browser out there.

If this thread is not the right place to discuss this, I understand and will happily join the choir of those requesting a Neo900 sub-forum.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: