View Single Post
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What the hell did I just watch? I mean, seriously, this person kept doing the same thing over and over.

If that's a representation of who has this device right now, I'm actually saddened a bit. If anything, the need for a video, in whatever native language is needed that describes what gestures do what, it needs to be made now; post haste.

Wow.
You and I have talked about things like this in other project conversations (yes, I'm not keeping up with this thread, its too long and has too many branches - there needs to be a more spatially designed UI for topics like this, not linear)

That said, if you can get to the rest of the device w/o completing the direct input aspects of the tutorial, then that's a problem. Its a big one actually.

Those of you accounting for having used (in part or still) the N9 are wrong in your perceptions. The simplicity of the muscle memory gestures of the N9 was (in psychologiclal development terms) a few years beyond the 6mo-2yr old gestures espoused by Android and iOS. There's a reason why those platforms didn't push so hard, they took a mental model from that far back and are slowly moving forward. WebOS expected folks - adults - to be more developed in visual muscle memory - approx 4yrs old. And MeeGo/N9 comes in at about 4 or 5yrs old. Of course, I'm speaking of these numbers from my *very small research* of USAmerican mental development.

*what, you don't study that stuff in your spare time too?*

That said, the 2-layered approach of SailfishOS's gestures, edge and mid-screen, requires a different spatial context. One that doesn't develop in some people at all, and in others not until they figure out fractions. It *is* harder to use SailfishOS not just because its unfamiliar, but because its asking your mind to process just a bit more. Its not a platform for beginners in mobile if you will... and that's ok. It just hasn't been given that kind of presentation in tech media, because most folks in tech media don't even know they've been doing mobile like a child since 2007 and loving it.

I've got more to unpack in that video and a few reviews that have been linked, but I'll say this much.. Jolla is like Google when Android came along. Excellent engineers, but there's no Martin Duarte/Christian Lindholm/Jonny Ive kind of characteristic - that sense of teaching you to think/act deeper while making it feel like that's how it should have always been done.

I'm available

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post: