View Single Post
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
OK - now is this the answer to my question why mass storage was naturally supported on both the N900 and the N9 but isn't on the Jolla Phone? Because the Nokia models hat FAT partitions that the Jolla has not?

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue in favor of FAT now or anything like that. I just felt that the explanation "everyone's moving away from mass storage in favor of MTP" is not satisfying for someone who used only mass storage on all Maemo devices so far, including Maemo 6. I can live with a good explanation why Jolla didn't include mass storage, as I could live with the N900 not supporting MMS given its complexity. I only feel that "everyone's moving away" isn't a good explanation.)
There are lots of technical problems related to mass storage mode, not just FAT vs more modern filesystems. It can be made to work but it requires lots of glue and has many bad side effects. I can understand why Jolla's sailors have decided to use MTP instead. I think Philippe has made a good job in describing many problems related to it.

MTP's main issue is that it is quite young so some operating systems are still having some problems with it. Hopefully situation is much better in a year or two.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post: