View Single Post
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I think carriers want a platform that enables them to embed their own services. They'll have to weigh up the cost of a license for an OS against how much they could make from controlling their own 'ecosystem'.

Is Ubuntu Touch going to be completely open source? Jolla seem to be making a lot of noise about open source but it seems they're not really committed to it.

A fully open OS could gain a lot of favour with countries/individuals not too keen on being spied on by the USA. I guess some will have been duped by the mock outrage of Apple, Google and Microsoft into believing they were pawns rather than willing participants in the Prism scandal but they'll still be plenty of others who'll prefer a device with an OS that's open, transparent and not North American.
No, the code is not fully open (if that is what you mean with open)in the same way as sailfish or any other commercial OS have closed code. But it's fully cool because I hope they going for High end devices.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-576...phone-partner/

I hope Sail and ubuntu can coexists and leave the fanboys talk aside.An I hope also Sailfish goes highend for next device and skip this other half. It would be cool if the user could buy One high end device and switch between Ubuntu and sail.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-12-14 at 14:04.