View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I think carriers want a platform that enables them to embed their own services. They'll have to weigh up the cost of a license for an OS against how much they could make from controlling their own 'ecosystem'.
All in the name of control.

Is Ubuntu Touch going to be completely open source? Jolla seem to be making a lot of noise about open source but it seems they're not really committed to it.
No mobile OS is fully open source. My expectations for that have disappeared.

A fully open OS could gain a lot of favour with countries/individuals not too keen on being spied on by the USA. I guess some will have been duped by the mock outrage of Apple, Google and Microsoft into believing they were pawns rather than willing participants in the Prism scandal but they'll still be plenty of others who'll prefer a device with an OS that's open, transparent and not North American.
A fully open source device might be ideal, but the time for dreams are over. Carriers want to brand and lock it down, governments want backdoors so they can track and snoop; nerds want it open but can't agree about a damn thing and meanwhile the products we tend to use aren't really open despite promises and use of open code. Most of it is never done out in the open. But you can't do that and make money... yet.

I couldn't care less where the OS comes from. North America, Japan, China, Norway, Finland, your mother's purse. I truly don't give two ****s and pointing to the North American market as the catalyst; then MeeGo (Intel backing) should be a no-go too, right?

That means no-go on Jolla too transitively. Because all they've done would be to add the presentational layer (oversimplifying a **** ton here) on top of the Intel/Nokia (North America company/North American handset division owned company by now) Linux Foundation (biggest office is in North America - San Francisco).

Innovation, community, meritocracy and openness does not need to come from one continent.

Enough talk. Where's the damn options? Pointing fingers produce absolutely nothing but more idle conversation.