View Single Post
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
A fully open source device might be ideal, but the time for dreams are over.
Don't Samsung open source the drivers for their hardware? I'm sure I read on xda-developer they do. They're also rumoured to be planning to use their own Exynos processors in future Galaxy devices. Samsung have also stated they want Tizen and Firefox OS to work as allies. Maybe the dream is not quite dead yet.

That means no-go on Jolla too transitively. Because all they've done would be to add the presentational layer (oversimplifying a **** ton here) on top of the Intel/Nokia (North America company/North American handset division owned company by now) Linux Foundation (biggest office is in North America - San Francisco).
NOKIA were not North American when they were working on MeeGo, in fact it was a North American originating from a company implicated in the Prism scandal that killed three open source operating systems and replaced them with a less desirable, locked down, closed source proprietary one from said company. Unfortunately Elop's actions make more sense as an NSA conspiracy theory than they did as a business strategy.

According to Snowden closed source proprietary operating systems from the US have back doors as do closed source proprietary encryption methods used widely on the web. Who knows, North American companies that support open source, like Intel, may get kudos for being the resistance rather than being collaborators. I'm sure at least some of the US public must be angry about the violation of their civil liberties too. I certainly dislike the way hugely exaggerated threats of the enemy within are being used to turn Britain into an authoritarian surveillance state.

This is not finger pointing, it's reality. EU leaders are now saying US cloud services are not to be trusted, data centres should be localised, etc... and these are supposedly US allies. The BRIC countries are talking about building a whole new networking infrastructure to make sure they can bypass the USA completely.

Innovation, community, meritocracy and openness does not need to come from one continent.
Agreed, that's why it would be nice to have. Unfortunately it's the antithesis of what's happening in the mobile market.