View Single Post
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
There is also our disagreement. I don't believe that any form of additional communication to what they have done so far (with the exception that they should have admitted the problems before the situation heated too much) would have made any real difference.
I get that. I disagree to an extreme extent. I think more communications would have made a dramatic difference for the better for Jolla and the community.

People I have spoke with cared more about the delivery than sweet comms. There is clearly much to improve in process, in communications too, but at this moment the communication it's not the burning issue. Getting those devices delivered is.
Sure, like I've said many times, had Jolla delivered the phones promptly, there would have been no need for further communication on it. My suggestion wasn't to make running commentary on everything Jolla does, but at critical moments understand about the benefits of openness. When the delays started rearing their heads, that was the moment when better communications would have - in my opinion - helped immensely.

Most pre-orderers chose their type of delivery before the problems arose and escalated to current extent. Changing them afterwards would have made already burdensome mess even more burdensome and confusing.
Sure, I get that. But I didn't suggest making people change their order type. I meant being open early on and giving people information to help them choose. Jolla's CEO just made it sound like delivering the phones to DNA was much easier for them, why didn't they tell us of that beforehand? Give people information that helps them make more informed choices.

In that case, please answer this question: how would it have contributed to the actual delivery process when it would have taken more time off doing those deliveries?
I argue it would NOT have taken any more time off from doing those delivers. Handing out information would be done by different people than are actually fulfilling the deliveries.

In fact, I actually think giving out more timely information, more openly would have meant Jolla had to answer less tweets, less care emails etc. and would have actually saved Jolla time. Pre-emptive, timely communications can help a lot.

As far as I'm concerned, their workers have devoted some time to actually speak with the community.
You have very low expectations what "community based" means. You are entitled to your opinion, of course. I expected better from Jolla, I actually thought they'd be unlike. And I'm not trying to be smart*** about it, I sincerely thought Jolla's community attitude was much more open than this process has proven it to be.

I did NOT expect this from Jolla. The delays? Sure, problems happen at startups. The closedness, the silence, the evasive PR platitudes? No way I saw it coming. Very disappointing.

Most companies don't do that at all.
Well, to me at least this process has shown Jolla tried to be like most other companies. Not unlike.

For me, instead of having reports of delivery progress (ie. how many devices are still waiting), it's much more important to know they are doing their best to get those devices delivered,
Without information it is very hard to know they are doing anything at all. Silence makes things faith based. You know, many people thought Jolla was going to deliver before the DNA sales while they already knew on the background they would no way make it. This means we can't trust the silence. (In this particular case, my feeling is that we can, though, expect most to get their Jollas shipping by Christmas - so at least that part to me seems optimistic.)

This is the part where communicating with community can actually contribute something useful. Discussing details about delivery problems and progress is not.
I disagree. Read this thread. There are dozens and dozens of pages of people sharing info about order tracking progress that they had to build up themselves, because Jolla chose not to share anything about the process. A lot of that effort could have been alleviated with more openness.

Not to mention the emotional part. This treatment certainly doesn't make it seem like Jolla wants to share in a movement with people. It seems more like they want blind followers. Now, I'm sure that is not a fair perception, but I'm just saying that's what the silence is saying to me - and I doubt I'm completely alone in that perception.

I know others feel differently and that's fine. This is a Jolla order tracking thread, not in any way majorly important for our or Jolla's future, so let's not make it any bigger than it is. But as my feedback, I think Jolla could have improved a lot - and I do think they would be wise to open up more.

And saying people just can't be satisfied isn't the best line to start with, no matter how potentially misunderstood.