View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
What's your issue? USB interface not showing up after selecting developer mode?

Did you set up the USB ip etc on your laptop/pc?

On Mac OSX you need the Horndis driver since Apple does not think supporting industry standards is needed.
I can see the Jolla in MTP, but cannot access it with its IP address through ssg like I do over WiFI. This is most likely due to the fact that Windows 8.1 does not seem to provide drivers for USB tethering. I don't know if there are alternatives, or if I could install drivers from another manufacturer (let's say Samsung).

Weirdly, in my connections, I do have a "N9 connection" that I could use for Bluetooth tethering (though if I recall correctly, I had trouble with ssh through USB with the N9 too, on both Windows 8.1 and my XP desktop). Perhaps Nokia Suite had some drivers here.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Jolla should focus on make important stuff stabilized first:
So IMHO below can be:

AFAIK this is fully opensource so and can be done by the community?
I have no idea! And my problem may be related to 8.1. I know I should use Linux, but there are apps I use too much on Windows to replace them by a VM, and their alternatives are not as good, or good too, but I would have to convert dozens of colleages. Impossible.

Anyway, if it can be fixed by community, I'm OK with that too!

Dissagre. Few use MMS this days, better community do it:

Those intrested should consider send a phone to Frals he probadly willing fix it
Oh, so just to be clear, this list was not about complaining about features I want Jolla to implement! For instance, I contacted Frals 2 or 3 days ago to ask him whether he was planning on porting fMMS to Sailfish, so that solution would be perfect for me!

However, I have to say that MMS usage depends on countries, and on your contacts. There are still plenty of people who have no smartphones, or just no proper data plan because they chose a cheap subscription, and don't need more. There are also people who will never use social media, and using emails to quickly send a picture is cumbersome, not to mention your recipient will only know he received something if he is connected to the internet, while with MMS you need the data only to download. All in all, there are big chances all these people can view or send MMS.

It's an outdated method, but that is basically what makes it reliable when more is not needed.

for me wifi/3G should be accessible for pulleymenus in the lockscreen? Btw was not that the original plan to make that pulley menu customable?
No idea! I agree that adding some options in the pulley menu would be nice. As for favorite apps, I was just trying to find them an utility, because currently setting them as favorites only adds shortcuts inside another app (big paradox). By the way, I think having to keep the Settings app open all the time is... Unlike for sure, but not convenient. It uses one of your nine precious covers, acts as a false status bar to show you which connections are active, and the cover is the same whatever the page being displayed if you restore the app to fullscreen.

I was disussing that on IRC just a moment ago: I like the idea that we have no status bar on Jolla and I think it's dealt with in a good manner (but move the battery and connectivity indicators that currently are between lockscreen and homescreen on the lockscreen, with clock), but I miss some sort of general menu to pull down from everywhere like on Harmattan.

On Harmattan, this menu was sometimes terrible because we all triggered it by mistake dozens of times. Perhaps it should be designed differently, or with another gesture, but the idea is there: it would be better to have a generic menu to display wherever you are in Sailfish, rather than a Settings app to keep open, that uses one out of nine covers, and can only be triggered from the homescreen and when no other app is fullscreen.

No no dont make it more complex. Leave as is for now.
Or at least, just allow "rearrange" and "restore if tap on cover" features in the homescreen after you longpressed something. Long press locks this screen, so it can be scrolled down. I'd be happy if this could be used for more things than just closing apps, and I don't hink it would make things more complicated, nor trade-off with any other function.

True but def not important IMHO.
Yeah, the idea behind that was mostly to put ambiences here and remove them from the lockscreen and homescreen sideswipes (4 of the most easy to perform gestures, for only one function, that could be easily enough accessed from the lockscreen pulley).

Agree

Sorry for long post! And I realize it might be off-topic, sorry for that too... Just wanted to elaborate on the things I was quoted for.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-12-18 at 22:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: