View Single Post
With some relevance to the Neo900 (some asked if we can upgrade the camera), though not posting it there since it's not entirely focused on that. Is there any use for the front-facing camera anymore? The two main applications were google video (now google hangout) and skype.

1. Google Hangouts doesn't work for the N900. Trying to handshake Google Video fails. This has been the case for at least a year.

2. Skype partially works. Testing a skype call, the receiver sees my (bad quality) video feed but I do not see his. On the receiving end Skype reports 320x240 resolution but the quality still looks terrible and highly pixelated. Without having two-way video, i don't see this as working

3. No meaningful application uses the front-facing camera that I'm aware of

4. If you have the latest 'leaked' Flash 10 binary installed, you can make use of the front video camera at a terrible framerate and color balance (For some reason the camera will only auto-balance on Skype or Google Video (historically), beside that it is always very dark and green when used in any other application).

Are there any alternative video communication software available that I'm not aware of to make this thing useful again?

The Following User Says Thank You to jessi3k3 For This Useful Post: