View Single Post
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
That's how correlation works. Nothing you can do against that,
You'd be the expert on this, but I'm skeptical of your claim that a single transmitter could be identified because that would mean the communication code is leaving behind extra bandwidth.

But voice calls aren't secure because the metadata can't be obscured and the content probably wouldn't be encrypted. So, yes, a pay phone or disposable prepaid mobile would provide more anonymity for that, but the reason we'd need a smart phone like the Neo900 is if a Wifi connection isn't accessible and we'd like to transmit non-voice data whose metacontent can be obscured with something like the TOR network. So there'd be no:
Call to 001555990000077
Call to 001555123456789
Call to 001555221111111
...just a PXS8 modem with a given IMEI connecting to TOR from a given location. Could be another Neo900 or even another type of phone or maybe even 10 different ones leaving a busy train station and maybe 10 more on the return trip.

There's a difference between the 47 bits of the IMEI and the 1 bit represented by the question "PXS8 or not PXS8?" and I already have my carrier and my government telling me how many bits of my privacy I do or don't need to protect.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Personally, I prefer Neo900 focusing on things that are *really* working (also working for supporting privacy), instead of things that just "look good" in a paper for average, who got all hyped up about PRISM.
Without the Snowden revelation I doubt the Neo900 would be as popular as it is. People want to reign in control over their own lives and data and that happens 1 bit at a time. 1 bit is supposed to be all it takes to keep someone out of jail, but since people are getting sent without trial to Gitmo nowadays we need a few more.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
While I think IMEI spoofing is no more wrong than MAC address spoofing in itself, usable for several legitimate reasons, and I would love for it to be supported, people shouldn't hope that it allows you to remain anonymous.
IMO anonymity is relative: more vs less, not yes vs no.

Although I wouldn't confuse the amount of conditional entropy of the IMEI with its absolute entropy, it suffices to say that every bit I manage to successfully withhold is an extra bit the NSA needs to get via compromising TOR (easier) or by building a quantum computer (harder).

Last edited by evujumenuk; 2014-01-27 at 01:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evujumenuk For This Useful Post: