View Single Post
Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Hello all,

After reading a post on the Maemo UI improvements blog (http://tabletui.wordpress.com/) I realized that I would really like to see a clock in the statusbar of my N810. After a little while I also realized that I could do this myself, so I did.

A note before installing! I have tested this on my N810 (after doing a backup first ) and have had no problems. In theory it should work on any N810 or N800 running OS2008, but my testing has been minimal. It ran overnight with no performance issues, and it can be added and removed from the statusbar without crashing the desktop (now). Please use this at your own risk, as I am not responsible for any loss of data or damage that may occur.

That being said, it is a very simple application and should not have any problems.

The way the Maemo statusbar is designed I could not fit a full clock in the limited width available, so I took another idea from Maemo UI improvments - a double wide "din" plugin. It is actually two plugins, one for the hour display and one for the minutes display. You should list minutes first when arranging them in the control panel. I would recommend placing it at the very top of the list, but it should be fine anywhere. Too low in the list, however, and you run the risk of having the display split when the statusbar extends two a two-level statusbar.

Currently the font size (18) and colour (white) are hardcoded. I think this should be fine with most themes, and I plan on making it configurable in the future. The only customization at this point is in ".statusbar_clock.rc" in your home directory. Change the line with "ampm" to switch between 24 hour mode and AM/PM mode.

If anyone wants the source, let me know since I have not uploaded it anywhere yet. I am a programmer, but I just hacked this together after looking at a few statusbar plugins.

Please let me know if there are any issues or improvements you can find. I'm sure some people may find this a complete waste of space given the limited real estate of the statusbar, but for anyone who would like the option of a clock in the statusbar - enjoy!

EDIT: Source code (and installable package) now available at
http://andrew.olmsted.ca/maemo/statusbar-clock

UPDATE: I have now made version 0.0.2 available. Improvements include:
  • Hide leading zero in AM/PM mode
  • Popup menu on click
  • Show current date (in popup menu)
  • Launch world clock (from popup menu)
  • Easily set 24 hour time (check item in popup menu)

UPDATE: 0.0.3 is available. It adds a configuration dialog to select the font and font colour. Hopefully alarm interface will be coming with the next version.

UPDATE: A garage project has been created for statusbar-clock. Please visit https://garage.maemo.org/projects/statusbarclock/ for the latest release and source code (I will leave the package for 0.0.3 here until the next release, then packages will only be available on the garage site)

UPDATE: Version 0.5 is now available at the garage page mentioned above. This version adds "stacked" mode for displaying the minutes over top of the AM/PM indicator. There is also a lot of cleanup and a few bug fixes which should result in reduced CPU usage.

UPDATE: Version 0.6 has been released at the garage page. This version adds an alarm interface and upcoming alarm notification via user selectable colours.
Attached Images

Last edited by fiferboy; 2008-03-06 at 16:42.

The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post: