View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I purchased my first N900 in June 2012 and fell in love instantly. So much so that I am now a proud owner of four of them (one partly working, for spares).

I have recently acquired a used N9. Everything works except for the loudspeaker, which is the main reason I have not yet tried it as my daily phone (since I can't hear the ringing; although the earpiece works so I can hear the other party speaking).

I do not use any social cr@p so cannot give you any feedback in that area. Neither do I know what Tinder is. The phone comes with everything I need from a smartphone right out of the box. Being second-hand, mine even came with a lot of stuff preinstalled that I do not need (like games), so off it went, saving about 500 MB.

I paid about 80 GBP delivered which I think is a fair price for a 64 GB N9 in the given condition. It would have cost me about 1/3 less if I lived in the US: the shipping from the US plus "import charges" imposed by eBay pushed the price up.

Please bear in mind that the following is written from the point of view of a die-hard N900 user. YMMV if you come from a different camp.

First off, it was not an instant love like the N900. The N9 actually looks and feels more like a phone than the N900 does and I can imagine using it as my main phone if i get the speaker fixed, but I am not sure I would spend nights on it like I do with my N900. It feels like a damn fine device but lacks a certain 'mojo' compared to the N900.

Things I like about the N9:
  • Starting from the basics - the form factor. It feels just right. The dimensions, the screen size and resolution, the weight, it all feels Just Right™.
  • The screen. The OLED screen is so crisp, I've never seen anything like it. And I love the always visible clock on the stadby screen.
  • The speed. Everything is instant, unlike on my N900 which shows some lag in some operations. I have not yet noticed any lag on the N9.
  • The battery life. As mentioned above, I have not yet put it to a serious test, but a basic like switched on, connected to GSM and WiFi, checking regularly for emails but otherwise idle, the battery lasted about 5 days. My N900 in the same situation barely makes it through two days.
  • The user interface. It took about half a day to get used to and I still miss the X button to close apps, but I am getting more familiar with it and I definitely consider it far superior to any Android offering (that I've seen so far).

Things I am not so keen on:
  • The capacitive touch screen. Yes! I seriously miss the ability to use the fingernail or the stylus to pinpoint exactly the point on the screen. Using your finger on a busy website is only asking for trouble.
  • The lack of a physical keyboard. This is by far the most serious drawback. Shift+Ctrl+Left/Right cursor in a text editor to highlight some text is merely a dream. Which means I had to type my WiFi password manually rather than copy&paste. Quite a drag considering that my password is a random string containing both case letters, numbers and special characters.
  • The lack of a memory card expansion. Not that it bothers me yet, but it might get there at some point.
  • The micro-SIM slot. I find that annoying because it means I cannot freely swap SIM cards between my devices.

To summarise and answer the OP's question, yes, for the price I've paid for mine it's definitely worth it

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-04-07 at 21:51. Reason: Spelling

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: