View Single Post
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Why on earth do they have to confuse people like that? Also, someone could have told me
I think it was Debian (but I'm not sure). In the old days there were no "packages" in the modern sense of the word, a package was a program.tar.gz, and always included not only the source but also (if it was or included a library) the headers and everything related to the program.

This was (and still is AFAIK) used consistently by the only sane Linux distribution (Slackware, which unfortunately I don't use anymore).

Debian, Redhat & Co. decided that users should not have to bother with .h files, so from "package1" they split the files into "package1" (only user-executable stuff) and "libpackage1-dev" (others use "-devel" with or without the "lib" prefix).

This seems to break stuff, as the over-complicated ./configure mess should at least manage to report the correct "package", but since the package name is distribution-dependent it, apparently, cannot.

But hey, the less .h files you have on your PC, the more pr0n you can have on it

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: