View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Oh missed this:

Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
A huge qualm I had with the N900 was no spell checking, and I think that is a huge issue when it comes to mobile devices with small keyboards
Personally, I have always found that spell checkers just get in the way of normal typing half of the time. Well, if they are just the "highlight this if you think it's wrong" type, that's much more tolerable. I find the ones that auto-correct to be infuriating, especially on small devices where they usually err on the side of "fix everything remotely plausibly intended to be different". I actually don't mind it depending on the layer it's localized to and the configurability it offers, but that means I want it off unless I explicitly want it on.

Sidenote: There is one big thing I feel is missing from the N900 (but also from virtually every desktop-like OS ever): state saving, of the 'fake multitasking' style of mobile OSs. But separate from normal minimization. In my book an ideal desktop manager has a 'pause' button, either next to the close or next to the minimize button, for each window. And it freezes/pauses the process instead of continuing running it. Closest thing I know is how Bourne shells do 'Ctrl-Z' to put the currently running process into the background and pause executing it until they're flipped back on either in the background or the foreground. But I've never seen a desktop environment do that. Of course, the mainstream OSs just mess up in the opposite direction in this regard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: