View Single Post
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
ORLY? As a curious cat: could you give an example(s)?

Take the Ovi applications like Offscreen Candle for example they are user/hidden. They can only be removed via apt however HAM can install/upgrade and remove them. Not like we are ever going to get any updates on there anyway.

http://doc.qt.digia.com/qtcreator-2....blish-ovi.html

http://developer.nokia.com/community...ovi-repository

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thanks a lot for example. Could you explain what causes the bootloop? I tried to reproduce it, but couldn't get into loophole (sic!)
That particular version of fcamera had drivers that were incompatible with kernel-power at the time. This was later fixed (either in one or both packages I am not sure).

What exactly is the difference causing such mess? What "flag" (or whatever) HAM recognizes, that apt-get doesn't and why the hell we need to depend on obscurity of HAM?
As per freemangordon, domains.

Because, AIUI, main goal of future for Maemo (FreEmantle) - in this or any other, hypothetical device - seems to be "more upstream, less obscure things that doesn't work anywhere else".
HAM source is open there is no reason why this can't be used upstream.

I don't understand this example. Have you dissected what is wrong? Why apt-get doesn't show upgrade for bander, and HAM does? I'm using the same programs, and never run into such weirdo, using apt (via frontend or not).
All back to domains again.
I have manually installed bander, however, HAM has detected that I should have installed this package via the "approved" repository therefore, wished to "fix" my system by installing the "approved" version. This for example would work like fmg says with an extras package having lower priority over a system package, apt-get will just compare-versions as per Debian packaging rules.

Also it seems HAM realises I don't need "n900-fmtx-enabler", apt and FAM wish to install it every time.

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
And in addition FAM is unmaintained - the fact that a long standing "bug" like autoremove being checked by default is still not fixed means that this software is not fit for the purpose of being a distribution package manager. IMO.
Agreed. The reason this whole thread started over on charmap in the first place.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2014-05-28 at 12:30. Reason: fix quote box

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post: