View Single Post
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I can't help but wonder if there isn't some sort of placebo-like 'honeymoon period' effect going on with that (or rather no longer going on, where it was going on before). Or maybe they really messed stuff up, hard to say.

Anyway, thank you for your thoughts. I do appreciate the informative view on/from the other end of things.
Upon purchase of my iPhone 5S I was initially disappointed on how poor voice recognition was, but then when I upgraded my 4S from 6.x to 7, I noticed the same problem, night and day. Thus leading me to believe it is an issue with iOS 7 and not the handset.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Oh missed this:

Personally, I have always found that spell checkers just get in the way of normal typing half of the time. Well, if they are just the "highlight this if you think it's wrong" type, that's much more tolerable. I find the ones that auto-correct to be infuriating, especially on small devices where they usually err on the side of "fix everything remotely plausibly intended to be different". I actually don't mind it depending on the layer it's localized to and the configurability it offers, but that means I want it off unless I explicitly want it on.

Sidenote: There is one big thing I feel is missing from the N900 (but also from virtually every desktop-like OS ever): state saving, of the 'fake multitasking' style of mobile OSs. But separate from normal minimization. In my book an ideal desktop manager has a 'pause' button, either next to the close or next to the minimize button, for each window. And it freezes/pauses the process instead of continuing running it. Closest thing I know is how Bourne shells do 'Ctrl-Z' to put the currently running process into the background and pause executing it until they're flipped back on either in the background or the foreground. But I've never seen a desktop environment do that. Of course, the mainstream OSs just mess up in the opposite direction in this regard.
To be fair I said spell checking (the red swighly line) not auto correct.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Out of curiosity, what parts of "communication device" are you missing on N900? Maybe we have different "communication" needs, but for me, it have everything that a communication device may require. VoIP, GSM, WiFi, bluetooth, MMS, USB Networking... Addressbook/calendar that allow soring more things than I'll ever, even remotely need. Tools for calculations, from basic, to highly scientific. Full office and image manipulation via LibreOffice and GIMP. I could go on and on (and wander even more far away from "communication" as per se).

But, again, for me 152374504354357 social media services are not a way of normal "communication" (although, from the threads that I see on TMO, people that like so-called social portals are using them happily, too). Still, I might be missing some super-cool-trendy-fresh-funky new wazzup-release-xxx7374-glamour, that doesn't have N900 client. Or, something like that.

/Estel
Well, to start off with the N900 worked on EDGE on AT&T as it did not support the 3.5G frequencies, but furthermore it now doesn't support HSDPA. In theory yes, it is possible to run GIMP on the N900, it was not useable however. I tried. Display size and resolution, slow processor, input methods alone made it or any program similar to it highly impractical and more of a novelty.

I am happy you touched on communication. Apple does have a few things going for it that is pretty amazing: iMessage and FaceTime. iMessage being one of my favorite chat protocols since OSCAR. FaceTime is excellent as well. But weather you like it/accept it or not social media is a huge part of how people today communicate. Google+, Google Hangouts, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Tumblr, Vine, Skype, etc.

These aren't fads, they are not going to go away, and they are slowly replacing traditional SMS/MMS (most of my iPhone conversations are blue as opposed to green - meaning the other person is also a iMessage user)

Then you have communication via data; Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud.

I have a BBM client, a AIM client, IRC client, and a service called Viber and WhatsApp that make communication when friends and family are out of the country easy and cheap.

Even after researching all the new "open source" mobile operating systems, like Jolla for example, a huge criticism was that it didn't have enough Apps for it and the ones for Android were glitchy. Reminds me of using WebOS apps on my N900.

When I say communication I am not talking about connectivity - I am talking about the ease of which I can actually communicate with another person or persons via the protocol of my choosing.

I want to add in that I find the defense of IR without the ability to receive data, only to send over something like Bluetooth 4.0, where I do have an app, by Google to interface with my Google TV as a remote control. I can wirelessly mirror my iPads or iPhones image onto a huge display with AppleTV, I can even video chat, wirelessly with AppleTV. While on the N900 I was using Smartcam/VNC - to do such things, or attempt to do such things as the hardware was lacking.