View Single Post
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Hmm. So it looks like I am the only one here thinking that combining features is a good thing. Pity.
Not necessary - as said, I was split in between the two possible approach vectors ( ) myself. But, considering:

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, to be honest, the reason why I was able to throw it together so quickly is that Orecchiette is at the moment something of a gui front-end for calls to GStreamer. (...) Certainly, using Orecchiette here allows you to take advantage of Pichlo's work on file naming, and (once I get things working properly) should let you control both video and audio encoding formats. (And yeah, I don't see why we couldn't just throw in options for the front and back video camera sources too... GStreamer can be a fantastically powerful tool. )
and...

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The way I've been thinking about it, I see the benefits of the two approaches as follows. For a single centralized app:
  • Only one UI to learn
  • One centralized location for all recording preferences (storage location, file naming scheme, etc.)
  • Easier to set up more complicated recording schemes (e.g., better control over audio and video source choices, encoding methods, etc.), as all the GStreamer options are collected into a single app.
  • Easier for me to code

Especially, the "Easier to code" part, which means that you spend more time in coding actually useful thing, less on duplicating UI's (without any loss of functionality for end users). So, personally, I'm pivoting into the "all in one" approach.

BTW, I really hope for the GUI-less auto recording of calls, at some point. If you manage to throw it into some status-menu widget, that would be awesome, but even before, a working, daemon'ized thing would be incredibly useful.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: