View Single Post
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I hope that eventually Debian will be a real alternative to Maemo.
I appreciate your work and like your optimism, so not mean to discourage at all... But as history of such efforts have shown, I'm afraid that, if we add up all the bits to have Maemo-comparable battery usage in Debian-like system (thus, implementing power-saving features and rules) - not to mention such "fancy" things like phone functionality - we will end up with something like Mer. Realizing, that we've re-created work that others did already, years ago.

One of the Mer developers just told me, once (in another "Debian-as-alternative-to-Maemo" thread), that it starts with patch to ignore screen input when locked. Then, it proceeds to actually shutting down touchpad (which eats lotta hell of power, if compared to really idle standby), not only ignoring it. Then you add... And, after months of work what started as mainstream any-distro on N900/whatever device, becomes a patched together frankenstein, or, at best, a Mer clone.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!