View Single Post
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Then I installed u-boot (package name u-boot-flasher), do I need something more?
You need u-boot-tools, but it is probably in as a dep.

ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p4 rootwait vram=12M console=tty0 quiet" ' > /etc/bootmenu.d/jessie.item[/CODE]
This seems weird, but probably a typo.

Reboot with keyboard open and I can see penguin-menu, very same than on first post on U-boot thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81613 (but version number is 2013.04). So where is my jessie-entry?
I am running the same u-boot version. If you don't see the jessie entry, there must be a problem in your u-boot config. Check the messages when you run u-boot-update-bootmenu and look for messages related to the jessie item file.
How will I generate initrd.img-3.12.0-rc5+ and uInitrd?
inside debian or in a chroot, you should configure your fstab and run
Code:
update-initramfs -k 3.12.0-rc5+ -c
This will build the initrd inside /boot. Then you run mkimage as described in https://elektranox.org/n900/kernel/uboot.html at the very end.

I tried 'debootstrap jessie' on Maemo, but it won't work because dpkg is too old. At least libaudit is compressed with xz and it needs something like dpkg-0.8.13.1 (and maemo5 has 0.7.20.2maemo13.1). Do you get workaround for that?
I installed on device debootstraping to wheezy, and then upgrading to jessie. This has one additional advantage, as chroot works, and you can chroot into debian to make things boot quickly. Once you upgrade to jessie, chroot says that kernel is too old.

So why not stay in wheezy? Because e17 with illume is available in jessie, and in my view this is the most touch friendly option we have atm.

That being said, I built the jessie image using another arm device. A rooted android phone or tablet with external card should do the job. I used a cubieboard. In the end, that's why I published the image, as there are several annoying details to overcome.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post: