View Single Post
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Poland
Hello folks! My name is Arien, and I am new team member of backupcover/body replacement (making us, essentially, a duo ), and a current spokesman of the project.

Estel, who does the hardware work, have something to say to you all. Here it is:

[Quote_starts_here]

Hola Comrades!
Long overdue, the detailed progress update and photos is arriving, at las. It's going to be a long post, so I'll split it into few parts, if you don't mind:

1. The big day has come!

Backcover replacement got it's own gitorious.org project page and repository:
https://gitorious.org/fremantle-backcover-replacement

It contains:
a) CAD helper drawings that I've used to create current (release-candidate_PREANOD) version of backcover. I've spent unbelievably long time updating it to reflect only on the current state of project, getting rid of all drawings related to failed ideas, former revisions etc... And to make it readable for someone other than me. I hope that I succeed, especially at the latter - feel free to ask, if you don't get something.

It's grouped in the CAD directory.

b) CAM g-code files, which are exact instructions for milling machine what to do at every step. Those are bloodlife of the project, the very fab files that are compatible with all (at least) 3-axis CNC machines powered via LinuxCNC. One just need to insert the mill of given*, position mill via the touch-to-material method*, set offset to 0 , and ruuun. Backcover replacement created on your machine.

I've did my best to make it readable (for anyone familiar with g-code, at least) and hunted sneaky polish words in procedure's names, mercilessly. Still, beware of bugs/overlooks, I appreciate any fixes via pull requests.

*mill size is specified in comment section at the beginning of file. Offset is 0 after touch-down, unless specified otherwise in the same comment section WARNING, g-code use () to mark comments, and both opening and ending comment line is required, the # character known to all scripters, is actual part of program, don't search for it while looking for comments.)

The g-codes theoretically should be usable for 3D printer owners, after converting them to printer's sub-variant of g-code language. I haven't tested this and I have no idea (yet) how to do it, but it *should* be possible from what I know. Also, keep in mind, that depending on your printer type, various thing may (and probably, will be) too thin to print properly/collapse under their own weight before getting printed, unless you're proud owner of one of those top-notch scientific prototyping machines that use laser to solidify fine-powder particles, using solidified rest as makeshift weight support (or whatsnot).

If anyone verifies successful converting and print (and will be willing to send me a note/method/converted files), I'll gladly create a 3D printer branch or accept pull request for one, focusing on 3D printers.

Anyway, everyone interested is encouraged to clone git and if you feel competent, make things better or experiment with your own variant of backcover replacement. Finally, misiak can ashame me and finish whole body/backcover project before me (in two weeks) - whatever you would like to use those files for, "sky is the limit", it's as Open Hardware as it gets.

Last but not least, if anyone is wondering, everything was created using *only* FOSS software, from drawings, trough project files, to actual code send to machine. Machine itself is controlled via Debian PC with custom-compiled LinuxCNC installed, and, many times, via commands send remotely, from nothing else than N900 itself (SSH/x11vnc).
---

2. Aaaand, a fresh photo-set of the latest (from last week) revision of backcover, after 5th ones that failed to anodize properly for various reasons. Ignore the scratches, they're completely exaggerated on the photo, and anyway, won't be present after anodizing (at all).

Backcover on vanilla N900's body, cover closed:

Same, but with cover open:

Cover itself, horizontal:

...and two views (opened, closed) from different angles:

The Mighty Leg:

...and, last but not least, inside of the cover + all parts (minus the hinges, which are on the opposite side)

---

Now, for the few worried ones - of course the distinctive and interesting "milling" pattern present in previous photoset is still available as a (free) custom visual variant, with or without anodizing. The one here is a candidate for the default "matte black" anodized version. I expect huge array of colours to be available (including white, pichlo!), but it's still too early to give a definite list.

The huge empty space between parts of the leg is officially confirmed as The Place, where per-ordering people will get their custom engraving/picture/logo/motto/whatever they want. BTW, even so close to finishing stage 1 (backcover), pre-orders are still open with all bells and whistles, so it's not too late to get yours

Now, The Leg. Initially, I wanted to make it as long as whole backcover, but due to positioning of camera window, it had to be too thin for such variant. It was stable, but just too prone to deformation, even using the best, "airplane" aluminum. Thus, the current version is shorted by that 1 centimeter+, but believe me, it's AWESOMELY stable. Nothing like a default, laughable leg. You can put it on your desk, slide screen, type like madman, and device won't twitch once (until you accidentally activate vibra, that is ). The angle has been corrected, so it's, finally, optimal for looking at the screen from usual height of device placed on table/desk, without doing strange exercises with your neck. The Leg is, also, very durable, doesn't deform at all, and can withstand hell lotta more punishment than default one, without even showing a sign of wear.

Last but not least, some may wonder - this is 'flat' variant, not the fat mugen-like one that I expected to arrive first. Well,due to number of real-alu revisions required and limited funds, I preferred to do the thinner variant first for alu saving, and proceed to fat one only after squashing all and each one of the remaining bugs, anodizing-related or others. Additionally, transforming the flat variant to the fat one is a super-easy work (the only part that will require actual real-prototype testing is mount-point for camera tripods, present in fat one, but absent from flat), and I'll create that branch on gitorious as soon as flat one become first actual Release.
---

Now, the post-word - I realize and willingly admit, that I *totally* sucked at the progress updates, during last few months. It was effect of many RL matters, both "environmental" and personal ones, that I hope to have resolved by now.

Anyway, I feel deeply sorry for that and I want to fix it. No matter what happens, from the point NOW I promise and declare a hard-coded every-two-weeks updates, even if it would be only "nothing new, still waiting for x" or "hadn't had time to work on it at all for the past two weeks". Also, having project files on gitorious changes a lot in that matter, and will surely help. Again, huge thanks to Mentalist Traceur for keeping me inspired to finally get through a chore of making code release'able.

Finally, thank you to all supporters, that keep believing in the project even despite disappointing silence or lack of progress updates, sometimes to the point of actually taking my place as to inform on whats going on, or defend the project from naysayers. It means A LOT to me, really.

I hope that this (biggest so far, and marking new era of "informing") progress update made some of you at least a little happier, especially after The Other Big Project flopped.

/Estel

Ps.
Now, this Ps. wasn't meant to be here, but s*** happens... As you might have already noticed I'm banned (again), for the duration of whole upcoming month. For your information, I was banned by mr. joerg The Moderator, specifically for following post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=111

Considering this, the declared 2-weeks updates will get one-time delayed, 'till I'm able to freely write here, again. Also, considering that TMO become unreliable place for a communication hub about such project (thanks to nothing else but egoistic manchild getting moderator privileges and completely absent and clueless super-moderator, which does only what his colleague tells him - not incidentally, the latter being same guy who abuses moderator powers to censor free speech regarding his pet project), I'm working for a solution for a reliable communication center for this project (and every other Maemo-related one, that is concerned by same problems).

I'm sorry that this AWESOMELY bright and positive post had to end in a little grimmer note, but as I ended up - s*** happens. And sometimes, it takes form of irresponsible, narcissistic people.

No matter what, it doesn't affect backcover/body replacement project AT ALL - apart from TMO communication, that I hope to be free from soon enough - so keep positive, and stay tuned!

[quote_ends_here]

If you have any questions, ask, and I will forward it to Estel.

Arien Stokowiec

Be sure to check Open Hardware backcover/body replacement gitorious page!
https://gitorious.org/fremantle-backcover-replacement

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to backcover_press_service For This Useful Post: