View Single Post
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
Wouldn't opening the artist page and checking for redirections be sufficient? It's also possible to take the first search result returned by LyricWiki, but it can be risky (IMO no lyrics are better than wrong lyrics).

Unfortunately, those options require downloading 2 pages instead of 1. Assuming that the number of hits is significantly greater than the number of misses (including lyrics that really do not exist, not just those with mismatching artist name), the number of pages can be reduced to 1 most of the time by using the 2-page routine only as a fallback (but the worst-case outcome is 3 pages)
Yes, it would be a fix for this particular case. But I'm still convinced that implementing simple overrides is something we can't avoid. It can be as easy as QSettings-based

Code:
QString artist; // is our current, read from the file
artist = settings.getValue("artistOverrides/artistName", artist)
// do something with it
Why? A couple of situations in which overrides are extremely useful:

Misnamed tags (on our or the provider's side). This includes the mentioned wikia problem, capital/small letters issues (no redirects here if name is Cyrillic [1]) or situations where the band changed its name.

Live tracks. Suppose you have a track "I Am The Law (Live)". You can override it and have the lyrics for the real track loaded. Ideally, you would use a regular-expression-based override, but specifying the overrides in a per-track manner is better than no lyrics

Another reason to use it: if we know that artist "Эпидемия" is in fact "Эпидемия_(Epidemia)" we load 1 page instead of 3 per track.

While the fallback strategy would work here, I really encourage you to implement the overrides. Such feature would be beneficial to OMP. The 3-page strategy would work great if being supplemental but on its own is merely a workaround.

[1] http://lyrics.wikia.com/Talk:Lyrics_...ongs.27_lyrics

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: