View Single Post
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
The only way to cure things and get them on rails again: Limit the power of GA instead of trying to boost it. We already have a working "General Assembly" of whole maemo community, called "vote / referendum".
Wait a second. Why? Why are we trying to limit the power of the "GA", which is actually the Maemo community? GA=maemo community.

We don't need any better concept replacing it, and actually trying to do so is the root cause of all problems. Limit the number of GA-members allowed in MCeV to maybe a 10 persons, who maybe even get elected by community vote before MCeV accepts them as regular members, and have those 10 people promise to *cooperate* with council and community instead of fighting against them, and everything should be fine for the next 10 years. It can be done!
Is there any need for this? Many other organizations work just fine with a GA and an elected board of directors who then do what the GA wants. There's no need for any middlemen. Or is there? What's the purpose of having a middle-man in this scenario?

We do know that the Hifo and CC relationship was never a good one. There were too many questions of responsibility, liability, funding, etc... the MCeV concept essentially eliminates these issues and gives all the power to the community (the "GA".)

This is, of course, assuming that the GA is the most inclusive group it can be, and I believe it should be. I hope that the rest of the community rejects the idea of a small 8-10 GA. I don't believe that will represent the community at large, nor actually work in practice. We'll have the same power struggles and dichotomy that we have now, IMO.

But I'm curious, Joerg, why do you think the MCeV concept is flawed? I'm not asking about what the HiFO or CC is now, I'm asking about what the MCeV could be and how it might work better than what we currently have. Which you have to admit, is not working for various reasons.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post: