View Single Post
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
There is a tricky issue with Harmattan - it is left in the middle. It does not have the old stuff Fremantle on the N900 has (GTK2, at least by default) and it does not have the new stuff (Qt 5, Python 3 and PyOtherSide) Sailfish OS has. Most other platform have at least one of them (BB10 has Qt5 & co) or both (Desktop Linux distros have both) so either the GTK or the Qt 5 modRana GUI will work on them.

It has been quite some time ago since I last did any meaningful work on the Qt 4\QtQuick 1.0 GUI as the modRana backend & GTK/Qt 5 GUIs already consume all my modRana development time, and even then the Qt 5 GUI is still not at feature parity with the GTK GUI. As the Qt 4 GUI has a different and incompatible architecture (QtQuick 1.0, MeeGo Qt Components & PySide vs QtQuick 2.0, QtQuick Controls/Silica & PyOtherSide) adding features effectively means a third implementation pass for the benefit for a single platform - it is a shame as it is leaving such a nice and elegant platform in the cold...

What could be done to get up-to-date modRana on Harmattan ?
But let's be constructive - I can see a few ways of improving this unfortunate situation:
  • porting Qt 5.1+, Python 3 and PyOtherSide to Harmattan so that the Qt 5 GUI can run
  • using my old GTK2/PyGTK port and running the GTK GUI on Harmattan (the needed packages could be hosted in the modRana repository on OpenRepos)
  • someone can take over maintainership of the Qt 4 GUI a improve it (aka the "patches welcome!" option )
There is a port of PyOtherSide to harmattan, because at least one of thp's apps uses it iirc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post: