Thread: [Fremantle Maemo5] [Request] Hedgewars!
View Single Post
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
No idea how much a benchmark between arm and x86 tells, but apparently a Snapdragon 800 (Lumia 930) blows an Atom N270 (2nd gen netbooks) out of the water.
[OT]
You're absolutely right. That is why, everytime some family member asks me to help find "good bang for your buck" netbook (or even worse, tablet - which they need to buy a bluetooth keyboard anyway, as touch screen is crap for typing, even double so for capacitives), I point them to a good ultraportable laptop, instead. It's amazing what you can buy for mere cents, nowadays - probably, because people switch to tablets in a sheep instinct.

Few days ago, I purchased - for my mother - a 1,5 kg -weighting 13'' Toshiba Portege R700 with 3GHz, 3MB L2 cache, two core 64-bit processor (non-undervolted intel core 2 duo), 4GB RAM, Ironlake Intel GMA HD graphic card (powered by fully FOSS'ed drivers), matte screen, and as a nice bonus. HSPA integrated (removable) modem and docking station port - all for ~250 bucks, in near-mint condition. Heck, it even STILL have integrated DVD-RW/RAM write *inside* unit!

Of course, built-in windoze system got immediately thrown out of the window (pun intended), and the unit (almost) literally flies under amd64 Debian with LXDE. Now, it blowed, blows, and will blow - for foreseeable future - any netbook, not even speaking about crappy android tablets. At 6 hours of (average-to-light) use on battery, I call it instant win, and apart from a dream of new-generation mobile phone/computer combo with hardware keyboard (up to 4'') run under real GNU/Linux, I suddenly stopped carrying about all those failed FOSS tablet projects, like Vivaldi. Why anyone need netbook/tablet, when you can buy something equally as portable, but better in every damn aspect - then run your favorite Linux distro and mainstream kernel, without begging manufacturer for support, as it'd the case in "new generation" embedded devices?
[/OT]
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: