View Single Post
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Mostly I agree, these devices good for books and reading / watching static web content.

But regarding gaming, it depends. For example, the Pinball Arcade is very good on a tablet and one of the few reasons to own one .

Productivity wise Windows tablets would be better but if you play a game like Pinball Arcade on Windows with tablet hardware such as the budget Asus T100 and its energy efficient but otherwise slow processor, you feel the graphics hardware is lacking to run a full blown windows game, even on directx9.
On the Android platform the graphics and controls have been adjusted for optimal usage with the weak hardware and touch screen input respectively.

Also, make sure that you purchase a tablet with a display which allows to dim the backlight low enough to be able to read in low light without too much eye strain!
Spot on about the brightness controls. I must be a vampire or something, but sometimes some devices are too bright even on the lowest setting (the N900 is like this for me).

And you are right, some games are actually better on a tablet, as long as the accelerometer or the touch controls are well implemented.

Two of those games for me on Android are aTilt 3D Labyrint and Glow Hockey, both of them free versions.

Say, what's this Pinball game's name? I do miss Visual Pinball on Wimdows though. That and MAME are the best for a vintage gaming experience. Play some Tears for Fears in the background and you're back in the 80s.