View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
I've been using Modrana more frequently, and it is excellent. I have it running with offline maps, offline routing, and voice navigation (using the en1 embrola voice with espeak.
What about adding a note on Wiki how to use Mbrola ?

Thank you, MartinK for this great program.
Thanks! I'm glad you like modRana!

I have a couple of questions which I didn't see addressed (or which I possibly missed).

Is there a satisfactory offline POI database? Or an address database? Having the POI database at least would be great.
There various OpenStreetMap POI extracts available from various sources and I wanted to add support for using them for some time already but just did not get to that yet.

It is actually not that different from the current online providers - just find a suitable easily accessible offline POI database source and add a local provider implementation that can run searches over the file.

Also there is of course the built-in POI database you can populate manually.

Also, does anybody successfully use the voice navigation via the FM transmitter? It doesn't work for me because if I'm playing something the voice is not loud enough, and if I don't play something then the FM transmitter goes to sleep and doesn't wake up fast enough when directions are spoken.

NOTE: An easy, but inelegant, hack for my second question is to play a silence file via Media Player on a loop. Any other alternatives?
Is there an API available for the FM transmitter (DBUS, CLI utility, Python accessible library) ? Depending on how long it takes to wake-up I could either force wakeup just before a voice message or make it stay on when turn-by-turn navigation is running.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: