Thread: Nokia is done.
View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Nokia's bread and butter is to sell mobile phones.
Nokia not only completely missed the mobile phone market of 2010-era, but it sold itself for $7B, when it was actually worth double or more.
Not true, really. Mobile phones were just one branch of Nokia, and while it was very profitable for a time it was destined to be an exit business sooner or later.

I agree Nokia could probably have milked MS a bit more for the mobiles but the price they got was fair considering the sorry state it currently is.
You cannot value the mobile branch like it was at it's highest.

Now its a bit like Lenovo's acquisition of IBM.
Sure IBM is still around, but is it really?
Similar thing here, altough not the same. IBM is a lot more than just laptops.

Nokia is dead like IBM is. And as much as a fanboy as I am, I have to say its for the better.
They couldn't innovate, execute and predict fast enough. Symbian was a joke. While BBX/PlayBook are great innovations. The latest iOS and Android are also very advanced.
You could not be farther away from the truth if you tried
Both of your example companies are now doing pretty fine having rid themselves of the problematic products and concentrating on better future products.

You make the common fallacy of equating a company/brand with a specifip product or range of products. A company dropping a branch that is making losses is a healthy one. A company throwing good money after bad is on its way to ruins.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: