View Single Post
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Wait...

gtkmozembed is deprecated! This means we need extra work to adapt it to the current situation. Besides, there must've been a reason to deprecate it.
Maybe because it was not used anymore? I think Crapdroid has different "binding" with it, maybe only Fremantle and Harmattan used it and while they haven't been updated for ages, they dropped it? This are just speculations :P

Moreover, if we decide to update the engine yearly, it means that the work has to be done yearly!
If the work will be done in a proper way once, the annual maintenance wouldn't be that hard.

Wouldn't it be better to redo the UI of Sailfish Browser in Qt5 and simply upgrade all the Embedlite libraries whenever needed? This would also mean being able to use any Sailfish Browser functionality provided the UI is redone.
I vote a strong NO. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Qt in general, but as long as we're still taking about GTK+Qt4 operaing system, I don't want to have another set of libraries loaded in RAM to open simple web page... I prefer to have more RAM and power for the webpage itself and GTK is sitting in the ram anyway on startup, so why load another stuff just to check the news or other silly stuff online? I would vote for consistency here (system components use GTK, so let's keep it up like it unless the lead of the team decides to change it altogether).

Just my useless 2 cents, I'm not even too active here lately, so if the active devs team has different oppinion, you don't even have to argue with me (in other words = if the person who will do it will do it in Qt5, but it will still work, I will be happy that it is done at all, after all it's their decision as they are the ones that put their precious time into it)

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post: