Thread: Navit on N900
View Single Post
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Originally Posted by gianko View Post
hi guys!
i wrote to rdorsch asking for a new built from bokomoko but maybe he is busy at the moment

so im taking a look to the building scripts he posted on tmo

http://bokomoko.de/~rd/navit/build_navit_n900.tgz

they get latest navit sources from svn,build in scratchbox and post on bokomoko repo

can be usefull for us if we want to create deb ourself, without uploading to repos

so we should focus on the build phase, bit complicated as im not expert in all the commands and why something must be build in x86 target instead of armel

any expert in debian package building can suggest a guide/how to build navit locally on scratchbox based from the commands in the scripts?
Hi gianko,

developing for maemo used to be a two step process: develop for the x86 target, that compiles and runs fast. When you are happy, compile for armel in scrachbox.

With the navit package there are two basic issues, which make it more complicated than a standard package and does not allow to upload it into the maemo repos:

- A bugfix for libfreetype is needed. I think in the meantime this is part of cssu

- Building of icons fails for the armel target in qemu, qemu segfaults. I worked around that by taking the icons from the x86 build, since they should be platform independent. I would expect a newer version of qemu does not have this problem anymore. But I have no idea, if the old scratchbox is still the standard build system for maemo or if that was replaced by something with a more uptodate qemu.

BTW, I kicked off a new build, but I would appreciate if somebody else can also build navit for the n900, since I suspect if something breaks in the build process, I would not find the time to fix it....

Rainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rdorsch For This Useful Post: