View Single Post
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by k6ps View Post
Just moved from N9 (died after about 3yrs of usage) to Galaxy Note 4.

To be completely honest, i did not quite mean that. I was ok with an old dumbphone plus a 7-inch tablet as my post-N9 solution, but my wife brought the Note 4 to me as present That's completely fine, i'm buying her shoes too. Occasionally we fail slightly, but most often not. So, i've become an Android junkie. For now at least.

My first impressions (after about 10 days of usage, not rooted so far):

Positive:
+ Generally feels faster and more stable than N9
+ The official Waze app works much better on Android than the old unofficial port on N9. I'm using Waze almost daily.
+ S-pen. My handwriting style seems favorable to it. I'm already hand-writing faster than typing with the on-screen keyboard.
+ User-replaceable battery and extensible memory
+ Just ONE app that i find useful and that was missing in N9 - local mobile parking app.

Negative:
- Size and physical design. It is too big for comfortable and secure one-handed operation. It is too thin and wide. It feels like designed for aerodynamics and gliding on water rather than being held in hand. Phablets are not for me. The size and thickness of N9 together with its rounded edge silicon case was just perfect.
- The "back" and "list running apps" buttons are so close to the bottom edge that i tend to touch them unintentionally.
- Profiles and automatic rules. I've tried about five different profiles apps for Android but so far nothing comes close to ProfileMatic for N9 for functionality and reliability. I undestand that this is partly due to the limitations of Android platform itself (when not rooted).
- The TouchWiz UI feels a bit messy for me, compared to the clean and somewhat minimalist Harmattan UI.
You will learn to get use to IT and after that you cant go back to small screen phone. And if you can handle IT you can always...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: