View Single Post
Hi all,

I'm the original author of HexTool. I discovered this thread via google searches for HexTool.

Many thanks for Halftux for making a cool port and for sharing it. Nice one!

Pichlo had a few nice suggestions:

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Switching to fewer bits and back clears the top bits. This should not happen. At least not in the signed mode: it should sign-extend when switching from e.g. 8 to 16 bits.
Switching from, say 32-bit to 16-bit is intended to clear the higher bits. This is what would happen if you copied a 32-bit value into a 16-bit variable, for example. I can see why you might want to it work the other way, but I took the decision to do it my way and not to add an option. Of course, making it optional would be the best action.

Sign extending is supposed to work, but you've discovered a bug there! In the version I'm running on Ubuntu, if you uncheck and re-check the "signed" box just before going from 8- to 16-bits or 16- to 32-bits, the sign extending works.

Eg, set to 8 bit mode. set value to zero. toggle bit 8 to 1, giving 128 in decimal display. Check the signed box, giving the value -128. Select 16-bit mode and you will see the Hex value become FF80 and the decimal value stay at -128.

So, a simple bug :-)

[*] The ASCII fields are not necessarily ASCII. By that I mean non-ASCII values are not suppressed. This can be considered a feature of course.
Very true.

[*] It would be nice to have a "Clear" button, although not really necessary as one could just type 0 in the "dec" or "hex" edit box.
The original Windows version had the ESC key used to zero the register, but moving to a desktop Linux distro now means that ESC exits the app. Another bug. But on a handheld device with no obvious ESC key, I can see a clear button being valuable!

[*] It would be nice to have a switch between little and big endian. Probably only useful for the ASCII representation and that can be easily reversed so perhaps not that important.
That's what the "flip" button does. Did I miss something?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll add these change back into the original when I get a chance.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to omnium For This Useful Post: