View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by gianko View Post
should be possible to use mbrola in modRana?

voices with mbrola+espeak are less robotic

this is a small guide on how to use mbrola arm version on the N900 for Navit turn-by-turn voice instructions

Download mbrola arm version from this link:

http://www.tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis...nux/mbrola.rar

i downloaded on my pc, extracted, and transfered the mbrola binary file via ssh to N900 in /usr/bin/ folder. (maybe is possible to save some rootfs space putting the mbrola binary in /opt and then create a symlink from /usr/bin to the file)

for voices i found to ways:

you can download voices from http://www.tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis...brcopybin.html

download your favourite voice package, i downloaded it4 package (italian female voice), extract, cause you need only the it4 file. then put the it4 file in a folder in MyDocs.

mbrola will search voice files in /usr/share/mbrola/voices/ so you need to create a symlink /usr/share/mbrola/voices/it4 linking to the file in MyDocs

another possible way, not tested, is to use some mbrola voice files already present in espeak folder /opt/espeak/data/voices/mb/ (so no need to download a voice file)

to let mbrola work with navit , you just need to edit speech.xml file like this:

<speech type="cmdline" data="espeak -v mb-it4 -s 150 -a 150 -p 50 '%s'"/>

and the new voice works!

-s sets the speed
-a sets the volume(av. 100)
-p sets the pitch(av. 50)

please check if can work with modRana too
Actually, it looks like modRana can work with Mbrola and there is a modRana specific Mbrola guide on the wiki. I haven't tried that yet myself though.

Originally Posted by gianko View Post
And for future vector maps support, should be possible to use something similar to Navit Planet Extractor?

so you can choose the map area to download, and it generates a mapfile.bin
Looks like a nice idea!

I have though about various methods easy user-accessible vector data access, such as:
  • easy osm/osm.pbf -> routing data converters
  • global repository with per-country data packs (like the current global Monav offline routing data repository)
  • build in support in modRana for downloading OSM data and importing them to the vector database
  • or something similar to the online Navit tool
But that will heavily depend on the actually data format used, how it easy will it be to generate and how big the resulting data files will be. That will show which of these ideas are doable and which not.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: