View Single Post
A mobile device with a keyboard would mean that shortcuts would work wonders with a keyboard-driven interface. Not to mention that the stylus is pretty nifty.

I suppose the only deal-breaker for me when it comes to these Windows tablets is...well...Windows. Despite not sharing the same architecture as a PC, the Pyra pretty much has me covered when it comes to the same kind of functionality. I know I can load a Linux distro on it, but what's the point of buying a Windows computer if I'm gonna do that anyway?

I do take issue with some of these claims though:

...Desktop user interface aren't that bad to use on such a small device.
I agree, but it really depends on the device. A Windows tablet's saving grace (or, rather, the reason for its existance) is the keyboard cover. So yeah, a UI such as the Windows desktop or GNOME or what-have-you would work out nicely.

Actually, that's something I should mention. I REALLY don't like how compact the keys are on the Windows tablet cover. It's my preference to have the keys spaced out on a non-thumb-driven keyboard.

...a desktop OS has much better web browsing due to better plugin support such as adobe flash and other features.
Flash is still available on ARM through the appropriate libraries, and it's easy to get the Pepper plugin for Chromium. Even so, Flash isn't a common sight on mobile devices on grounds that it's simply not needed as it were 4 years ago. Hell, I don't even have Flash installed on my computer.

Otherwise, I do agree that desktop browsers have better plugin support (although I'm not sure if that will be the case for long with Firefox, since it's looking to gain more and more interoperability by the day).

Desktop OSes also have better game libraries and better emulators...
Completely agreed on the game libraries. That's not even a question. However, I'd rather not play a game like Civilization with such a small screen. In fact, most of the games I'd want to play on a proper PC I'd either want a bigger screen or better specs (of which I can control). I'd also want to be able to play all day. No way I'm getting a day out of a Windows tablet playing Civilization without plugging it in.

As for emulators, you may have a point with Gamecube/PS2 (although even that seems to be changing as well), but you could run the majority of pre-PS1/N64 emulators on a toaster. PCSX reARMed is highly optimized now, and can run on a wide variety of mobile devices (just look at the Pandora). Same for Reicast (somewhat).

...many mobile versions of apps lack functionality found in desktop versions.
Such as? Sure, for consumption-oriented devices/OSes, that's definitely the case. However, one can definitely get LibreOffice4 for Debian Wheezy ARM in a heartbeat (+all the features/issues the latest build comes with). As the planet's becoming more mobile-oriented, this is changing.

There is better peripheral and accessory support on a desktop os.
Only by the nature of most mobile devices is this true. As demonstrated by Texas Instruments, Hardkernel's ODROID boards (and various other single-board computers for that matter), and Linux as a whole, this is drastically changing.

There is also artistic applications like sketchbook pro, mypaint, artrage, or Krita.
The Pandora has Sketchbook, MyPaint, and GIMP as well. On a Windows tablet, those apps work a lot better because of bigger screen+better stylus though, so if you mean that it's better to have those apps on a device like the Windows tablet, then I agree.

However, that would only be by nature of working on a tablet, not the OS.

Office apps are much better on the desktop.
Only by nature of having a larger screen and a proper keyboard. Again, one can get LibreOffice4 for ARM. And, if you have a powerful-enough single-board ARM computer to run KDE proper, then you can get the entire Calligra suite as well.