View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
why would anybody bother to vote for a council that can get overridden by a club of two (1?) dozen peeps in GA, who decide on their own who may become member of their club, if they need to pay for such membership or not and how much, and generally has already hijacked maemo completely? Hoping that this club would allow stable long term democracy just because of laziness, own interest (not to pay fees themselves), or just goodwill, is ... naive.
Maybe tomorrow I should drum up 50 "friends" in my neighborhood who all will apply for e.V. membership, then immediately start an extraordinary GA and change all that bylaws and whatnot stuff in a way I think is appropriate (for me, or for whatever are my aims tomorrow). First thing to decide: rent a Datscha for a fine party paid by the donation funds that The Maemo Community once transferred to HiFo for *maemo* purposes, and they thought they were the ones to decide what those purposes are.

How would you stop me? Except by doing same thing before I could... Or maybe that already happened and we're just waiting to see it? I just wonder about legal implications for HiFo when giving away the Maemo Community assets to undefined random location where they are free for basically everybody to pick them up. I'm just happy I bailed out of that mess of responsibility and failure to see the risks.
I do not know what happens when decisions of GA and Council are in conflict; that's why I wouldn't say that will of Council can be overridden by GA, or vice versa.

Board cannot reject an application for GA membership, as long as its filled in properly.

GA decides whether members of GA pay fees or not, yes. That's probably a left-over from golf-club-laws, where some kind of steady income is needed to maintain the golf-field, or whatever.

Democracy will be here, as soon as eV will be large enough. People, by default, have goodwill (altruism) and self-interest (egoism). I would even go as far as say that for a smart person, altruism and egoism are equal (lead to the same decisions and outcomes), but that's my personal opinion.

About 50 "friends"... Read the Bylaws:
The inclusion as an active member is executed by the Board upon written or electronic request and requires three months of passive membership. Active members retain all rights and obligations of a passive membership.

Any and all of the *.maemo.org members are welcome to join GA. However, "immediately" is a word contradicting the paper bureaucracy, since parsing the application forms will requite a bit of time... Especially during holidays. And for small Board.

And I am fairly sure that if GA attempts to hold an extraordinary meeting with a "not-proper" purpose, then the time (four weeks?), between public declaration of agenda and the meeting itself, will be quite enough for "proper" members of *.maemo.org to both send overwhelming number of applications to Board (to make sure GA is not hijacked by "not-proper-mindset") and to contact the Council - see my question: what happens in case of a slightest conflict between Council and GA, since Board executes both Council's and GA's rulings.

Best wishes. This ironing out of Bylaws' wrinkles is really helpful, since many people wouldn't even try to read them, otherwise? Looking at myself :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: