View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by veeall View Post
Their second device should have been a phone with better 'state of art' screen, more RAM, better CPU, with the same size as Jolla 1 and compatible with TOH-s.
Hmm. Being that it's a tablet and not a phone means that (a) it's less expensive, and (b) it's available in the US; which for me, means that it's the first Jolla device I can get. I'm sorry to see the OH concept starting to disappear already; but, given that Jolla seems to have no control at all over their hardware(*), I can't imagine them being able to hang on to any truly unique features.

However, the tablet does have USB OTG -- shouldn't this open up a host of possibilities for external keyboards, hard drives, or other peripherals?

I cannot see how marketing a tablet could improve native app situation for jolla phone.
Well, in one very small way, it'll improve -- I stopped developing my own apps for Sailfish once I realized I had no good way of actually acquiring a Sailfish device for myself (and nobody else in North America would have one either). Now, I will finally be getting one, so I'm starting up my Sailfish SDK once again.

(*) Unfortunate quote from the recent Jolla Crowdsourcing blog:

Finally, a reminder that Jolla is mainly a software company, which means that we need to rely on our partners developing hardware for us. This will cause some unfortunate limitations as we have limited possibilities to add new hardware features to our products. In practice this means that for our upcoming, very first Jolla tablet, we are likely no longer able to add new hardware features. We had to make our choice quickly about the platform in order to get it kicked off into development.