Thread: TOHKBD Layouts
View Single Post
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
As you said Egon, the middle point is absent. Your guessings are correct. The definition of being or not a dead key goes in the software configuration as you said. I added the middle point, moved the Ç key to one where can be typed as lower case or upcase (I placed it badly in the previous layout). Now I placed it on the right of the Ñ, so I moved the acute to the same place as other symbols, and then rearranged the º and ª symbols. Hope you like it.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7539/...8ffa18f3_o.jpg

Layout in libreoffice format
Yes, I like it. Some questions, however:
(1) Where is now ´ (accent agute)?
(2) It looks that even on the original English Qwerty the ' (apopstrophe) is on the S key. Too impractical? I suppose that the apostrophe should be on the right-hand side of the L or P or Ñ key (both on the English and "English+3" keyboards). but I understand that it may be a bit difficult to change now the English QWERTY. Perhaps we're talking about the next generation or revision.
(3) I believe that he Ñ and Ç characters can be on the same key. Like on some Scandinavian full-size keyboards there are double labels on the right-hand side of the L key: ØÖ on one key and ÆÄ on the next (the activated language, e.g. Norwegian or Swedish) determines which of the two labels is valid. In the same way, there can be the ÇÑ label on the key which is located on the right.hand side of the L key. If you activate Spanish as the writing langaes, that key produces Ñ, with other languages (Portuguese, Catalan and French) the same key produces Ç. With the Spanish activated, the Ç could be typed with a modifier key (such as the "upper left corner" key, and the Ñ key, and with the Catalan activated, the Ñ could be typed wit the "upper left corner" modifier key and the Ç key. This is complicated to explain, but very easy to learn in practice, and the benefit would be: the Ñ and Ç would be found in their standard place for all 4 langagues, and there would be a free key (for apostrophe, for example) on the right-hand side of the ÇÑ key. But again, perhaps we're talking about the next generation or revision.