View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
wicket: any updates lately?
Unfortunately not. I still have lots of plans for this project but as a post-grad student with no income right now, I've found it hard to justify dedicating any significant time to it. It's not helped by the fact that I only have one N900 which serves as my everyday mobile phone/computer but doubles as my device for testing so booting into Debian becomes a problem given that calls don't currently work in Debian.

I've recently been thinking that maybe I need to change the direction of the project and evolve it into a full Linux distribution based on Debian (and/or Devuan). It's becoming less and less like Debian with the stuff that gets added to it (e.g. non-Debian kernel) and with the decisions I make about what packages should or shouldn't be included by default. My thoughts are that it currently needs to be bleeding-edge to deliver the best possible experience but the long term objective would be that many of the differences could eventually be merged back into Debian. My personal focus would still be for usability on the N900 and Neo900 but I would also like to look into getting libhybris running on it so that it will be usable on Jolla and supported Android devices.

I would hope that this would generate much more interest and external contributions to the project than it currently has. In turn I could raise funds via donations, hopefully enough to be able to justify being able to dedicate up to 20 hours per week of my time. Raising funds would also enable me to buy a second N900, and cover hosting costs for a website and APT repositories. In the longer term, I will look for a sponsor to make it sustainable.

The DebiaN900 scripts will form the basis for building the distro so they won't suddenly disappear and I will continue work on them in the meantime.

To those reading this, what are your thoughts? Is this a crazy plan or do you think it could work?

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: