View Single Post
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by daperezg View Post
If bicycle brands are selling road, mountain, bmx,..., and there is market for all. Why all mobile phones have the same frame and wheels?
Biggest culprit is Samsung who have laid off their design department years ago - they're churning out the same looking, unergonomic Galaxy phones year after year. Disclaimer: I'm using a Galaxy Note 2 as my main phone now. My secondary phone is the 808 pureview which has my roaming sim card, plus it's my main photo/video taking device (I've stopped carrying a digital camera) and my satnav device with the excellent Nokia Maps. I've installed Here maps on my Note 2 as well, whilst the presentation of the maps on screen is much better than on the old Nokia Maps some of the information seems to be incomplete - Nokia Maps showed the locations of bus-stops (and shows you which bus routes stops there), whilst in Here maps for one country the bus-stops have disappeared, and in another it only shows 1 or 2 bus routes when there should be much more. And in a recent update to android 4.4.2 those baskets at Google (or maybe Samsung?) have pissed around with the GPS (now called Location) toggle, now whenever I enable GPS I get a "Use enhanced location service?" dialog, which basically asks whether I want to let Google track me. I can choose "Disagree" or "Agree", and there's also a toggle box to select "Don't show again". I don't ever want Google to track me so I would want to select "Don't show again" and then "Disagree", however the baskets have made it that if you select "Don't show again" then "Disagree" is disabled and you can only select "Agree" - what forking baskets!

Anyway my N900 is still in daily use for listening to podcasts (using the excellent gpodder), music and as an IR remote control. I used to use XBMC-remote on it as well, but it is really slow to start, now I use my Samsung for that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post: