View Single Post
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
then that guy might be in trouble. then he assume he knows better than the customers. did you ask him that?
[offtopic]
It was lecture about information systems and development. Point was, when customer says "we need this and that system like this and that", it's not really certain that they have thought it through. It's very common that over time systems used in companies get bloated when new systems are built for every single "this would be nice" thing. My experience in the field also confirms this observation, so when customer comes with certain request, the easiest way to generate cash in the short run would be just to deliver them what they ask but to question, improve and iterate would likely to be better for the customer, especially if customer just plans to use IT to digitalize old processes instead of looking into changing and improving processes to better capitalize the possibilities of technologies (so development of new IT systems should not concentrate on computer stuff but on work that is to be accomplished as whole). It's not like he knows the best outcome beforehand, but more like it's his job to actually dig out the real motivations and needs behind initial request to be able to deliver the best outcome for the customer. In that regard the argument was valid. Just not likely the one that pleases "I'm the customer so I'm the KING of everything so give me what I want NOW"-people.

Maybe some if it can be true in consumer space also.
[/offtopic]

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post: