View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean... but X5 and X7 are not really viable option for mobile phones because they still lack integrated modem functions. Using discrete modem chip in phone increases complexity, cost and energy consumption which most likely translates as uncompetitive device. I was actually hoping that Intel could integrate those functions to their 14nm offerings...
Actually, using discrete chipset for baseband processing increases just cost and layout footprint, it necessarily does not increase complexity or energy consumption.

What it does, however, is it enables the OM system to be built without dependencies on unknown binaries that are running as ring 0 processes on your device which is a huge benefit securitywise.

IMHO the current trend of building integrated chipsets with BB processing done on the OM system is real bad idea, it is the result of people settling to mediocry due to pennypinching.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: